You can request that your own astronomical images be taken by the observatory using one of supported communication interfaces: Mastodon, or Email! After setup you also use our dedicated Communicator App!
- At the present time, authorization requests are only welcome from those pre-authorized by the owner.
- If you have a research project needing observing time, just ask. The only thing I ask is that the observations be used and preferably uploaded to public databases such as the AAVSO. Credit to the observatory in any published work is requested.
- The Email interface is restricted to those previously approved by the owner. Please do not request authorization by email unless you are pre-authorized. Use the Mastodon interfaces instead.
To Become Authorized
Send a message to @email@example.com like the examples shown below. Don't just copy the example text! The message can be public or private (direct message). Tell us:
- your full name (no nicknames, handles, etc.)
- where you are located
- why you want to use the observatory
@firstname.lastname@example.org #authorize I am Suzie Stargazer from the UK and I want to use the ARO make observations of minor planet positions.
@email@example.com #authorize I am James Einstein and I've been in touch with Dave already - gimme access please!
You should receive a reply message within about 15 seconds.
Send an email to:
- put the word #listentome in the subject line
- in the email body include text like that shown below all on one line. Don't just copy the example text! Tell us
- your full name
- where you are located
- and why you want to use the observatory
#authorize I am Suzie Stargazer from the UK and I want to use the ARO make observations of minor planet positions.
#authorize I am James Einstein and I've been in touch with Dave already - gimme access please!
You should receive a confirmation email within a few minutes.
The owner (last time we checked, he's a human) will review your request. You may start communicating with the observatory and making image requests before your account is reviewed, but images will not be taken. Note that if you request authorization from more than one interface (eg. both Mastodon and Email), each is considered a different observer and is not allowed.
After you have completed the steps above and received a confirmation message or email, you interact with the observatory using either Mastodon or EMail - see the links for more information. You can also use the Communicator App.
A complete list of supported commands and other information is here. For lists of Submitted and Completed Observations, list of Authorized Observers, System Logs, and Public Messages: see the Queues and Observers page.